Definition of glean in English:
1Obtain (information) from various sources, often with difficulty: the information is gleaned from press cuttings
More example sentences
- Much information is gleaned from secondary sources or has been covered in more detail elsewhere by previous authors.
- Most of her war information is gleaned from her twice-weekly phone chats with her husband.
- Information was gleaned from operating reports dictated for the surgical procedures and available for review.
2 historical Gather (leftover grain) after a harvest: (as noun gleaning) the conditions of farm workers in the 1890s made gleaning essential
More example sentences
- Third, commoning is a collective endeavor as depicted, for example, in the many paintings of gleaning the harvest.
- In the open-field areas of northern France they could glean after harvest and their cattle could graze on the stubble.
- They were not to glean their fields for stray grain, nor harvest the corners.
- Example sentences
- Like the planter's grain or publisher's newspaper clippings, the overabundance of our media archives can now be clipped and gathered by a new generation of gleaners.
- Only by listening to the gleaners, those picking at the forgotten edges of the field, will we understand the real beauty of the landscape we are creating.
- What kinds of virtues are required to succeed as gleaner?
Words that rhyme with gleanAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India