1A light aircraft that is designed to fly without using an engine.
- While most gliders are towed, then released, by a powered aircraft, some gliders are equipped with engine power to reach their target altitude.
- Prior to this time, he had been concerned with gliders and fixed-wing aircraft and, in 1918, designed a tri-motor bomber for the Spanish Air Force.
- Using gliders, helicopters, remote-controlled models, micro-light aircraft and balloons the filmmakers were able to get the stunning footage.
2A person or thing that glides: the flying lemur is an efficient glider as well as climber
More example sentences
- Like more familiar gliders, such as flying squirrels, flying snakes are not actually able to fly upward.
- And like flying squirrels, these anomalurids are accomplished gliders, leaping from the tops of trees and capable of agile bends and changes of direction.
- That principle is also at work in the spread between the feathers on the wing tips of the best low-speed gliders, such as vultures and hawks.
2.1 another term for flying phalanger.
- The petaurids include the striped possum, Leadbeater's possum, and wrist-winged gliders.
- Slow-moving animals and those living in trees - animals such as koalas, possums, and gliders - were most at risk.
- Most pseudocheirids have a strongly prehensile tail (weakly so in the great glider and rock ringtail).
3US A long swinging seat suspended from a frame in a porch.
- She flopped back down into the glider, setting it swinging wildly for a moment.
- Music leaked softly from the windows behind him, when he'd resumed his seat on the glider.
- He sat back down on the porch glider, and continued with his widdle work.
Words that rhyme with gliderchider, cider, divider, eider, Guider, Haida, hider, Ida, insider, Oneida, outsider, provider, rider, Ryder, Saida, slider, spider, strider, stridor
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: glider
Definition of glider in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.