noun (plural globigerinas or globigerinae /-niː/)
A planktonic marine protozoan with a calcareous shell. The shells collect as a deposit ( globigerina ooze) over much of the ocean floor.
- Genus Globigerina, order Foraminiferida, kingdom Protista
More example sentences
- Imagine a cart full of whitish mud, filled with the minutest shells, poured all wet and sticky and slimy onto some clean planks and you may have some faint idea of what globigerina mud is like.
- Briefly, there are four types of ooze: red clay, globigerina ooze, radiolarian ooze, and pteropod ooze.
- Bottom sediment map showing beds of globigerina ooze and other sediment types.
modern Latin, from Latin globus 'spherical object, globe' (because of the globular chambers in its shell) + -ger 'carrying' + -ina.
More definitions of globigerinaDefinition of globigerina in:
- The US English dictionary