Definition of glum in English:
adjective (glummer, glummest)
Looking or feeling dejected; morose: the princess looked glum but later cheered up
More example sentences
- What's the point in going out for a coffee if you're going to sit there all glum and miserable?
- He made a concerted effort to smile his way out of his understandably glum expression while I tried to say what I wanted to say in the right kind of way.
- After a minute he hung up the phone with a glum expression on his face and went back to driving meticulously.
gloomy, downcast, downhearted, dejected, disconsolate, dispirited, despondent, crestfallen, cast down, depressed, disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, demoralized, desolate, heavy-hearted, in low spirits, low-spirited, sad, unhappy, doleful, melancholy, miserable, woebegone, mournful, forlorn, long-faced, fed up, in the doldrums, wretched, lugubrious, morose, sepulchral, saturnine, dour, mirthless
mid 16th century: related to dialect glum 'to frown', variant of gloom.
- Example sentences
- Becky, the eldest, was staring glumly at her latest present.
- He plays with his Caesar salad, glumly spearing croutons or else sweeping one of those supremely talented hands through his heavy flick of a fringe.
- ‘Now all we have to do is find out way back out to the motorway again,’ Graham said, just a little glumly.
- Example sentences
- The findings of this study show a worrying trend towards glumness.
- There's relief in his voice, but glumness too, a result of his sudden homelessness and the loss of many of his belongings - clothes, furniture, even musical instruments.
- There are plenty of hackneyed truisms about ill-winds, silver-linings and darkness-before-dawns that can be tossed into the glumness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan