- A hypothetical massless subatomic particle believed to transmit the force binding quarks together in a hadron.More example sentences
- Above that energy scale, the weak nuclear bosons are massless like the photon that transmits the electromagnetic force between electrons and protons and the gluon that transmits the strong nuclear force between quarks.
- This includes mesons like pions, gauge particles like photons and gluons, the hypothesized Higgs scalar, etc.
- According to quantum field theory, gluons and pairs of light quarks and antiquarks should be spontaneously emitted and re-absorbed by the quarks and gluons inside hadrons.
More definitions of gluonDefinition of gluon in:
- The US English dictionary