Definition of glycoside in English:
A compound formed from a simple sugar and another compound by replacement of a hydroxyl group in the sugar molecule. Many drugs and poisons derived from plants are glycosides.
- Covalent bonds between the anomeric hydroxyl of a cyclic sugar and the hydroxyl of a second sugar (or another alcohol containing compound) are termed glycosidic bonds, and the resultant molecules are glycosides.
- Aloe emodin is found both free and as a glycoside in plants having increasing commercial importance, including aloe and senna.
- The sweet flavor usually indicates the presence of carbohydrates, proteins, various sugars and glycosides.
late 19th century: from glyco- 'relating to sugar', on the pattern of glucoside.
- Example sentences
- The linkage of two monosaccharides to form disaccharides involves a glycosidic bond.
- Similarly, large deforming forces are expected to act on the pyranose ring and the glycosidic linkage during various enzymatic processes.
- The enzymes catalyzing the initial step are glycosylases, which cleave the glycosidic bond between the base and its deoxyribose.
Definition of glycoside in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan