Definition of goaltender in English:
A goalkeeper, especially in ice hockey.
- Each team can protect players under one of the two following combinations: one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen and seven forwards.
- But most coaches, Sutter included, say their best penalty killer is their goaltender.
- Richter recorded nine postseason shutouts as the Rangers goaltender.
- Example sentences
- They've got six 20-goal scorers and strong goaltending from Patrick Lalime.
- Scoring goals is hard enough during the regular season, given the dominant goaltending, rangy defensemen and smothering defensive schemes forwards face.
- In the Stanley Cup finals, great goaltending is a given.
Definition of goaltender in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.