Definition of goat in English:
1A hardy domesticated ruminant mammal that has backward-curving horns and (in the male) a beard. It is kept for its milk and meat, and noted for its lively behaviour.
- Besides this, Spanish cattle, pigs, sheep, and goats introduced European meats and fats, milk, butter, and cheese to the Mexican diet.
- Finds of animal bones reveal that the ox and the cow were domesticated as were sheep and goats (kept for meat and wool).
- They eat the meat of goats, sheep, water buffalo, and cows.
1.1A wild mammal related to the goat, such as the ibex. See also mountain goat.
- Wild goats are tolerant of considerable extremes of temperature and would most likely have been a source of food for most of the post-glacial period.
- The fauna is represented by species such as deer, wild goats, bears, wolves, foxes and martens.
- After that all the sheep, wild goats and deer on the Cooley Peninsula would have to be destroyed.
2A lecherous man.
- When you say that some of the girls are prostitutes and that he used to be a responsible, respected person, it is entirely possible that the old goat is having brain changes.
lecher, lecherous man, lascivious man, libertine, womanizer, seducer, adulterer, pervert, debauchee, rake, roué, profligate, wanton, loose-liver, sensualist, sybarite, voluptuary, Don Juan, Casanova, Lothario, Romeo
3British informal A stupid person; a fool: just for once, stop acting the goat
More example sentences
- Unfortunately a young schoolgirl, acting the goat, injured herself causing a slight cut on her knee.
- Acting the goat takes on a new meaning when it involves a challenging nine-and-a-half-hour scramble over the rough terrain around Glenbeigh.
- Those involved in one of the county's most popular festivals have decided acting the goat is one way to help a good cause.
get someone's goat
- informal Irritate someone.Example sentences
- Apart from the super-slow service, what else got my goat?
- I mean I do read them, and one of them has got my goat enough for this blog entry - does that mean they work?
- This being the sixties, most of them felt it was a matter of free speech, which really got his goat.
- Example sentences
- The other meaning of fiesta is ‘feast day’, and refers, of course, to the day the goat is finally sacrificed - although goats are usually sacrificed as representatives of human piety and contrition, rather than for their own goatish sins.
- It's his first day in the job and he's already banned the entire population of Australia and ‘people with goatish beards’.
- One of the beasts, true to goatish cliches, started gnawing on a plastic strap on her pram.
- Example sentences
- But one warning - if you are a goaty academic, don't presume (as your kind always does) that women will find you attractive just because you're brainy.
- Of several good puddings, I tried white chocolate parfait with a goat's milk yoghurt, which stamped, as goaty things will, on the gentle chocolate, but was a fascinating flavour.
- You would never compare mousetrap cheddar with camembert, so why assume that all goat's cheese will taste the same - overpoweringly rank and, well, goaty?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia