- another term for compony.More example sentences
- After his legitimation in 1397 he changed his bearings to the royal arms of France and England within a border gobony of silver and azure.
- Whether Sir Malcolm Wallace and his son bore their arms with a bordure compony (or gobony), as here, or with a bordure counter-compony as shown elsewhere on these pages, is uncertain.
- Around this central design is a border of alternating silver and green pieces (the formidable ‘bordure gobony,’ which is explained as ‘fourteen gobbits gyronwise’).
late Middle English: from obsolete gobbon 'piece, gobbet' + -y3.
More definitions of gobonyDefinition of gobony in:
- The US English dictionary