Definition of godhead in English:
1 (usually the Godhead) God.
- By a unique, transcendent agreement between the persons of the Godhead, God sent and dealt with His Son in our nature as if He, and not us, had been rejected.
- Barth referred to the dead crucified Christ, where every indication of the revelation of the Godhead is lacking.
- The union of Christ and the Father within the Godhead is that which we are to believe and rely upon for the certainty of our salvation.
1.1 [mass noun] Divine nature.
- Our reasoning faculty is but a gracious gift of Godhead intended for divine purposes, and not those of our own design.
- However, Saint Augustine realised that the essentially non-worldly nature of Godhead was not conveyed by these means.
- Romans 1 addresses his eternal power and Godhead (deity).
2 informal A greatly admired or influential person: there on a skateboard was America’s current godhead
More example sentences
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's untimely death in 1997 robbed Pakistan of an immense talent and world music of one of its twin godheads (Youssou N'Dour being the other).
- Elvis Presley and John Lennon may look like the twin godheads of 20th century pop music but for a huge swathe of the world - Africa, the Caribbean and black Britain in particular - one man ranks head and shoulders above them: Bob Marley.
- I can read the godheads like Charles Shaar Murray and Greil Marcus, but it's those prose terrorists writing themselves into the story at the fringes that truly get past the sound my ears hear and write the one my heart hears.
Definition of godhead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan