- A quantity of gold held by a central bank to support the issue of currency: the American gold reserves in Fort KnoxMore example sentences
- Many governments no longer base their treasuries on the so-called gold standard though the United States, Austria and other countries maintain a gold reserve.
- Many people then exchanged silver money for gold and the Treasury's gold reserve became seriously depleted.
- Unlike gold certificates, with 100% gold backing, Federal Reserve Notes only had a 40% gold reserve behind them, enabling a dramatic expansion of the currency.
More definitions of gold reserveDefinition of gold reserve in:
- The US English dictionary