Definition of gonfalon in English:
A banner or pennant, especially one with streamers, hung from a crossbar.
- The hand-stitched, silk gonfalons are black and gold, reflecting the university's official colors.
- Every academic major has its own gonfalon in which certain colors represent different departments.
- We contacted Southern Tailors for quotes on gonfalons because of a recommendation from another university.
- Example sentences
- The names of the gonfaloniers will be listed in the program.
- To be selected to be a gonfalonier is considered an honor, as their academic department chooses the person elected to carry it.
- It is borne at the head of all university processions by a senior faculty member known as the gonfalonier.
Late 16th century: from Italian gonfalone, from a Germanic compound whose second element is related to vane.
Definition of gonfalon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.