Definition of gong in English:
1A metal disc with a turned rim, giving a resonant note when struck.
- In the orchestra, I am thinking of using a certain number of brass and also metallic percussion: tubular bells, gongs, tam-tam, etc.
- A variety of groups in the Hull area will be able to use the Gamelan - a set of chimes, gongs and tuned metal bars made in Java - being purchased by the city council with the help of a £9,000 award.
- At once, the diminutive Goblin leapt off the platform and struck a gong, signalling the beginning of the final battle.
2British informal A medal or award.
- It's the best ten minute boost to female self-esteem ever invented, and I'd be the first to award Heat a gong honouring their services to womankind.
- Several other borough residents were awarded gongs in the New Year's honours.
- A record number of nominations have flooded in for the York Tourism Awards - but there is still time for you to make your selection before the gongs are finally awarded at an Oscars-style ceremony.
verb[no object] Back to top
Sound a gong or make a sound like that of a gong being struck.
- Check out these 80 musicians from China who'll be gonging, cymbaling and bamboo-fluting their way through a performance at Penn's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
- It was wonderfully meditative, and as I sat there cross-legged, gonging away and soaking up the mystical reverberations, I got to thinking.
- Suddenly a bell gonged loudly through the palace.
Early 17th century: from Malay gong, gung, of imitative origin.
Words that rhyme with gongalong, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, prolong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, thong, throng, tong, Vietcong, wrong
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan