Definition of goofy in English:
adjective (goofier, goofiest)informal
1chiefly North American Foolish or harmlessly eccentric.
- His strange mannerisms and goofy asides are amusing, and he has a comedian's sensibility for wanting to keep the audience at home interested.
- Funny links to goofy stories seem to be included now only to relieve the tension.
- In fact, it seems a little rushed at first, but the time is well saved when we start to meet all the characters, and trot alongside this gentle love story full of poignant moments and goofy funny bits.
2Having or displaying protruding or crooked front teeth: a goofy grin
More example sentences
- June's picture was of several patients in a secure facility sitting with goofy grins in front of a television displaying a test pattern.
- Audiences leap to their feet, they cheer, they sing, they stick on goofy ear-to-ear grins, and they all know they are privileged to be in the presence of greatness.
- Brian threw the magazine in its brown paper bag, sideways like a Frisbee, to this other kid called Matt, who had goofy teeth and awful acne.
3(In surfing and other board sports) having the right leg in front of the left on the board.
- The goofy footer belted the right-handers on his backhand, collecting two eight plus scores.
- Hawaiian goofy footer Fred Patacchia said that if the surf is good, all the trialists have a chance to win.
- The goofy footer looked completely at ease and together with fellow countrymen Mick Lowe and Parkinson, was one of only three from the top 10 to survive the day.
- Example sentences
- Some tourists frolicked in the resulting paperdrifts, flailing goofily to catch the falling sheets.
- I leaned over to the other Australian lawyer, who was also grinning kinda goofily in the firelight.
- ‘Thank you, Kait,’ he said, grinning almost goofily.
- Example sentences
- Working a couple of shifts in a row with same people means that the goofiness will only get worse.
- Considered a cultural touchstone for '80s goofiness, upon re-viewing, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure reveals itself as a great, smart comedy.
- Nothing is wrong with individuals finding creativity, imagination, merriment, exuberance, playfulness, or goofiness in what they undertake in camp experiences.
Words that rhyme with goofyDufy, Sufi
Definition of goofy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.