1 [mass noun] (In biblical use) the timber from which Noah’s ark was made, from an unidentified tree (Gen. 6:14).
- Make thee an ark of gopher wood.
- It was made of a special wood, called gopher wood.
- All his neighbors laughed at him and all that gopher wood and pitch sure cost a lot of money but Noah obeyed.
2 (gopherwood) Either of two North American trees:
- Stinking cedar. Yellow-wood..
- Although cypress wood is often used in the place of gopherwood the two terms are not equivalent.
- The gopher wood has a wide range of applications.
Early 17th century: gopher from Hebrew gōp̱er.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: go¦pher wood
Definition of gopher wood in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.