Definition of gossamer in English:
1A fine, filmy substance consisting of cobwebs spun by small spiders, seen especially in autumn.
- So I made a classic cross-hair from spider's gossamer and used it to pinpoint a cell in the area I wanted to watch.
- In the UK, gossamer is the creation of a million baby spiders that spin threads vertically from the top of bushes which will carry them off into the wind, enabling them to travel for miles.
- It was thin and wispy, like freshly spun gossamer in the early morning light.
1.1A light, thin, and insubstantial or delicate material or substance: [as modifier]: a fine gossamer fabric that clung to her skin
More example sentences
- My ivory limbs glisten under the weight of the lightest gossamer.
- It looked to have been crafted from gossamer, or light itself.
- It resembles something sewn together out of scraps of gossamer: it's delicate and ethereal.
ultra-fine, fine, diaphanous, gauzy, gauzelike, gossamer-thin, gossamer-like, gossamery, delicate, filmy, floaty, chiffony, cobwebby, feathery, silky, silken, wispy, thin, light, lightweight, insubstantial, papery, flimsy, frail;
rare transpicuous, translucid
- Example sentences
- While the bulk of the album centers around gossamery ambiance, there are a few breaks from tradition.
- Set on a bed of marinated cucumber and red pepper relish, it is then surrounded by a gossamery corn emulsion.
- They spin a gossamery veil over the piano playing to enhance the imagery.