Definition of gourmand in English:
1A person who enjoys eating and often eats too much.
- I realise I'm doing what gourmands never do - reveal their favourite restaurants for fear of overpopulising, however…
- Like airline food, university cafeterias rarely have a strong and loyal following among the discerning gourmands they serve.
- For gourmands, there is a choice of four restaurants, including two speciality restaurants - Signatures and Latitudes.
1.1A connoisseur of good food; a gourmet.
- The food is the best I've had in an institution - and believe me, by the end of the summer I had become quite the hospital food gourmand.
- Another food and drink festival is now over, but gourmets and gourmands alike will already be looking forward to whetting their palates at next year's.
- I think it's okay, which just goes to show that I'm not exactly a world-class gourmand; but I like the idea that there's a better one out there, not too far away.
Late Middle English: from Old French, of unknown origin.
Pronunciation: /ˈɡʊəməndɪz(ə)m/ /ˈɡɔːməndɪz(ə)m/noun
Words that rhyme with gourmanddiamond • unopened
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan