noun (plural governors general)
- The chief representative of the Crown in a Commonwealth country of which the British monarch is head of state.More example sentences
- ‘It is with deep regret and after much thought that I have today advised the Prime Minister that I wish to resign from the office of Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia,’ he added.
- The first Governor General of British Bengal was appointed because he was well versed in Urdu and Persian.
- In Singapore, in the late 1940s, he was the British Governor General for South East Asia and later in Kenya he had played the role of a diplomat.
More definitions of governor generalDefinition of governor general in:
- The US English dictionary