noun (plural same or grabens)Geology
- An elongated block of the earth’s crust lying between two faults and displaced downwards relative to the blocks on either side, as in a rift valley.More example sentences
- These faults bound horsts, grabens and tilted blocks.
- The area is characterized by a series of low-relief Jurassic horsts and graben.
- A graben is a down-dropped block of the crust resulting from extension, or pulling, of the crust.
late 19th century: from German Graben 'a ditch'.
More definitions of grabenDefinition of graben in:
- The US English dictionary