1An inclined part of a road or railway; a slope: fail-safe brakes for use on steep gradients
More example sentences
- By following the ridge of the city's hills, it provides tolerable gradients and avoids steep inclines, which proliferate in the city's side streets.
- Road sections which included steep gradients, major drainage structures and thick chip seal surface layers were normally excluded.
- For traffic driving east, the road descends down a gradient of 0.023 through a wooded area with trees overhanging the road on both sides.
1.1The degree of a slope: the path becomes very rough as the gradient increases
More example sentences
- The lower 150m section has a gentle gradient of 12 degrees providing an ample and safe area to test out those first turns.
- Therefore if Cross-rail precedes electrification, then diesel units would be used for cross-city services which would easily negotiate the gradients and angles.
- It had a gradient of about 45 degrees and was strewn with loose rocks and boulders.
1.2 Mathematics The degree of steepness of a graph at any point.
- The abrupt changes in gradient visible in the graph are caused when the number of relevant genetic backgrounds i max changes from one integer value to the next.
- Differentiation is a method of working out the gradient of a curve - how quickly one variable changes with respect to another.
- In a moment we will demonstrate what the gradient of the curve at a point is, by examining a limiting argument.
2 Physics An increase or decrease in the magnitude of a property (e.g. temperature, pressure, or concentration) observed in passing from one point or moment to another.
- Distinct gradients in pressure were observed throughout the contact area.
- We observed a gradient in the depth of the selective sweep, which becomes progressively deeper as you get nearer to the gene.
- I assure you, however, I have accurately mapped the topological surface density and transitional energy gradients of the timeline in question.
Mid 19th century: from grade, on the pattern of salient.
Words that rhyme with gradientirradiant, radiant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.