1Relating to the ancient Greeks and Romans.
- Furthermore, the Greco-Roman tradition refers as much to classical and Hellenistic Greece as it does the days of the Roman Republic and the Empire.
- Throughout this time Christianity in Egypt was locked in an often deadly struggle against the polytheistic religions of the Greco-Roman culture as well as the Hellenistic movement that began in Alexandria spread to other large cities.
- Islamic civilization also benefited from the Greco-Roman tradition, especially in the areas of Greek science and philosophy.
2Denoting a style of wrestling in which holds below the waist are prohibited.
- Bulgaria's wrestlers had another fine outing at last weekend's 39th Nikola Petrov International Greco-Roman Style Wrestling tournament.
- World title and bronze medal was taken by Bulgarian wrestlers in Greco-Roman style at the championship in Moscow.
- Inter-collegiate wrestling, which is practised only in American colleges, is broadly similar to the freestyle and Graeco-Roman styles, apart from the points system.
Definition of Graeco-Roman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.