Definition of grand duchess in English:
1The wife or widow of a grand duke.
- Instead I shall be the most sought after girl and then when Fabian is old enough I will become his grand duchess.
- Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and his consort, grand duchess Maria Teresa, are arriving on a three-day state visit to Bulgaria on October 11.
1.1A woman holding the rank of grand duke in her own right.
- Your wife will be grand duchess of all Letzenstein.
- Since Charlotte's abdication, the grand duchy has been ruled again only by men, and the sisters remain the only two reigning grand duchesses of Luxembourg in history.
- Of all the children, only she would achieve a notable career, and Orazio was clearly active in furthering it, as we learn also from his well-known letter of 1012 to the grand duchess of Tuscany in praise of Artemisia's skills as an artist.
2 historical A daughter (or granddaughter) of a Russian tsar.
- One of Queen Victoria's many grandchildren, Queen Marie of Romania was born in Kent in 1875, and always thought of England as home; her father was the Duke of Edinburgh, and her mother a Russian grand duchess.
- I am the grand duchess Alexandra Romanov, though I'm sure you already knew that.
- Ninotchka is a Russian commissar who has come to Paris to sell jewellery belonging to a grand duchess.
Definition of grand duchess in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan