1A prince or nobleman ruling over a territory in certain European countries.
- The official guest list named at least 70 kings, queens, grand dukes, princes, counts and lesser nobles.
- Whether forced or voluntary, Roman emperors, kings and queens, hereditary princes and grand dukes and, yes, even popes have abdicated.
- The grand duke of Tuscany, Ferdinand I, in the meantime, showed a new level of independence from Spain by marrying a French princess, and announcing the marriage of his niece Maria to the French king.
2 historical A son (or grandson) of a Russian tsar.
- Two of his daughters married Russian grand dukes; one became Queen of Italy; another came into the orbit of British royalty by marrying a Battenberg prince.
- Close relatives of the tsar were called grand princes, usually translated as grand dukes.
- Destinations outside the city worth adding to your trip include the Kolomenskoe Estate, overlooking the Moskva river, where grand dukes and tsars have spent their summers since the 14th century.
Definition of grand duke in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.