Definition of granulite in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A fine-grained granular metamorphic rock in which the main component minerals are typically feldspars and quartz: [as modifier]: the granulite facies
More example sentences
- These rocks display clear prograde metamorphism that peaks in granulite facies.
- Two types of terrain are especially characteristic of Archaean geology: greenstone - granite terrains and granulite - gneiss terrains.
- The granulite to eclogite transformation may not occur if water is absent; for example, if ocean crust has been dehydrated as happens when a slab subducts.
- Example sentences
- The researchers studied metamorphic conditions of granulitic rocks in the Zoblitz complex and estimated maximum pressure conditions of 21 kbar at 830°C.
- Resting on top of the granulitic rocks of the Dalsfjord Suite are the arkosic metasediments of the Hoyvik Group which are interpreted as detritus from the Dalsfjord Suite rocks.
- Also, those workers noted that eclogites, in particular with felsic composition, are theologically weak, relative to their granulitic equivalents.
Definition of granulite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan