noun (plural granulomas or granulomata /ˌɡranjʊˈləʊmətə/)Medicine
A mass of granulation tissue, typically produced in response to infection, inflammation, or the presence of a foreign substance.
- A punch biopsy of the lesion showed tuberculous granulomas within the epiglottic tissue.
- Cat-scratch disease will also produce granulomatous inflammation, but the granulomas are suppurative in nature.
- These nodules are frequently found in cases of tuberculous meningitis and represent caseating granulomas typical of tuberculosis.
- Example sentences
- One patient had rheumatoid arthritis with granulomatous meningitis, which was thought to be noninfectious.
- The differential diagnosis includes lymphoma, granulomatous infections, benign vascular tumors, and metastatic cancer.
- Donovonosis can result in ulcerative, granulomatous, or hypertrophic lesions.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: granu|loma
Definition of granuloma in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.