Definition of grapefruit in English:
noun (plural same)
1A large round yellow citrus fruit with an acid juicy pulp.
- In a bowl, combine the grapefruit, blood orange, lemon, lime, and tangerine segments.
- Like grapefruit, bitter orange can boost blood levels of many medications and increase the risk of side effects.
- I watched him this morning juicing a grapefruit, guava, blood orange, mango, plums, and grapes and pouring the elixir into a giant glass pitcher.
2The tree which bears grapefruit.
- Citrus paradisi, family Rutaceae
- Then they take all the honey that they gather, from the almond groves, the grapefruit trees, the strawberry patches, or what have you, and then they dump it into one batch and boil it.
- Exotic grapefruit trees, pepper plants and Australian pines have invaded Pelican Island, and erosion has scoured away more than half the refuge.
- We live in central Florida and have a good-sized grapefruit tree in the back yard.
Words that rhyme with grapefruitsnakeroot • beetroot
Definition of grapefruit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.