Definition of graphology in English:
1The study of handwriting, for example as used to infer a person’s character.
- Though many people doubt its accuracy, handwriting analysis, or graphology, is used by employment agencies, criminal detection and sometimes in the early detection of mental or physical illness.
- You may want to practice your penmanship because you never know who's into graphology and having your handwriting analysed.
- If there is any credibility to graphology, then the characteristics of each person would influence the nuances of their handwriting individually, even if everyone learned the same system of writing.
2 Linguistics The study of written and printed symbols and of writing systems.
- In linguistics, however, the name for the study of the writing system of a language and for the system itself is more commonly graphology, a level of language parallel to phonology.
- In their explanations of graphology, linguists often find it useful to draw parallels between this system and the system of spoken language.
- To a linguist, "sounds like" obviously suggests phonology, "looks like" suggests graphology, and "means the same" suggests semantics.
- Example sentences
- Her graphological analysis makes for alarming reading.
- Through a graphological analysis of the poems, the writer has been identified as a prominent aristocratic monk who was renowned for his skillful calligraphy.
- Since there is no useful theory as to how graphology might work, it is not surprising that there is no empirical evidence that any graphological characteristics significantly correlate with any interesting personality trait.
- Example sentences
- There is a code among graphologists not to reveal too much about the analysis otherwise people will look at certain characteristics in their writing and think they know what it means.
- On the other hand, I do think graphologists can come in handy when verifying authenticity of autographs.
- Perhaps we are all graphologists to a certain degree and can detect a person's character in their script: the thickness or thinness of the line, how circular or how angular the curves, how high the ascenders and how low the descenders.
Definition of graphology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.