- A region of space containing a massive object whose gravitational field distorts electromagnetic radiation passing through it in a similar way to a lens, sometimes producing a multiple image of a remote object.More example sentences
- Black holes, the cosmic microwave background, pulsars, neutron stars, gravitational lenses, gravity waves - these are just a few of the phenomena that would make no sense without general relativity.
- Way out in the corners of the galaxy, there are objects so massive that they curve light into gargantuan gravitational lenses, distorting and magnifying objects behind them.
- The moving cosmic string would have acted as an additional gravitational lens, affecting both quasar images simultaneously.
More definitions of gravitational lensDefinition of gravitational lens in:
- The US English dictionary