A large grebe with a crest and ear ruffs in the breeding season, found from Europe to New Zealand.
- Podiceps cristatus, family Podicipedidae
More example sentences
- They include gadwall, tufted ducks, pochard, coot and great crested grebes, as well as large numbers of other species such as wigeon, shoveler teal, mallard, cormorant and mute swans.
- More than 218 species have been recorded on the reserve, including mallards, teal, widgin, great crested grebes, pochard, wild geese and Canada geese.
- In the summer of 1992, and apparently for the first time, two pairs of splendid great crested grebes successfully bred on the river in the city centre rearing broods of young.
Definition of great crested grebe in:
- The US English dictionary