- Photosynthetic algae which contain chlorophyll and store starch in discrete chloroplasts. They are eukaryotic and most live in fresh water, ranging from unicellular flagellates to more complex multicellular forms.
More example sentences
- Treated either as plants (division Chlorophyta) or as protozoans (phylum Chlorophyta, kingdom Protista). The classification of green algae is complex and under review
- However, in the free state, these bacteria are generally found as filamentous green algae in fresh and brackish waters.
- Diatoms and green algae exhibited up to ninefold higher growth rates than those for cyanobacterial species.
- This microscopic, single-celled green algae contains more chlorophyll than any known plant - nearly four times the amount found in spirulina.
More definitions of green algaeDefinition of green algae in:
- The US English dictionary