1(In the US) a permit allowing a foreign national to live and work permanently in the US.
- Even without a green card, foreign nationals are free to stuff envelopes, knock on doors, or otherwise volunteer on a campaign, provided they receive absolutely no pay for their work.
- At the end of last year, nearly three million people were waiting in line for a green card, a work permit or a change in their immigration status, up almost 20 percent in just 12 months.
- Investors receive conditional two-year visas before they are awarded permanent green cards.
2(In the UK) an international insurance document for motorists.
- These days the green card of motor insurance is not usually required but it is as well to check with your insurance company first.
- In Romania a car can be impounded if the driver cannot produce their green card, and it is also required in Malta, Andorra and Poland.
Definition of green card in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.