noun[mass noun] Geology
- 1A greenish kind of sandstone, often loosely consolidated.More example sentences
- The sample was taken from a thin limestone lens with phosphatic oolites within the phosphatic greensand.
- Use additions of mineral-rich materials such as rock phosphate or greensand to tailor the nutrients in your compost to match the needs of your soil and plants.
- They lie on a fault line created by a seam of greensand, which runs for 200 miles from Lyme Regis to the Wash, taking in the edge of the Bowood Estate.
- 1.1 (usually the Greensand) A stratum largely composed of greensand, deposited during the Cretaceous period and often underlying chalk: the Upper GreensandMore example sentences
- Overlying the Jurassic succession, a thin sequence of basal Cretaceous strata including the Greensand is characterized by radial outward dips.
More definitions of greensandDefinition of greensand in:
- The US English dictionary