Definition of gregarine in English:
1Relating to a group of microscopic worm-like protozoans that are internal parasites of insects, annelids, and other invertebrates.
- Aseptate gregarine fauna have been reported from various parts of the world including India.
- These were determined to be the trophozoites of a gregarine parasite of the insect, and the present paper records the observations which have been made on this species.
- The students established beetle populations with and without gregarine infection and then monitored the population over time.
1.1(Of movement) slow and gliding, as seen in gregarines.
nounBack to top
A gregarine protozoan.
- Ciliates are alveolate protozoa that evolved unusually large cell sizes entirely differently from gregarines, with radically novel consequences for their genomes.
- The cytoplasm of the gregarines was always irregular, dense, and occasionally presenting a dark stoch area.
- Like the gregarines, however, the life cycle is primarily haploid, with diploidy only occurring before meiosis.
Definition of gregarine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.