Definition of grindstone in English:
1A thick disc of stone or other abrasive material mounted so as to revolve, used for grinding, sharpening, or polishing metal objects.
- This can be done by rubbing away surplus metal with a grindstone, whetstone, oilstone, steel, ceramic rod, leather strop or the palm of your hand.
- He is seen sharpening a weapon on an old-fashioned grindstone.
- We also took turns at turning the crank of the grindstone when scythes needed to be sharpened.
1.1 rare another term for millstone.
- The grinding of the grain was done with a grindstone called a Rotary Quern, or a Hand Quern (a small stone on top of a larger stone with the grain in between) if you were poorer.
- His master, Monsieur Vanderdendur, cut off his hand when his finger got caught in the grindstone in a sugar mill.
- I looked in at the mill, saw the wear on the grindstone, awoke the morning next and - strangely - ordered that another be cut from my quarries up north.
- 1keep one's nose to the grindstone
- Work hard and continuously.Example sentences
- He has kept his nose to the grindstone and will be pointing to investment and projects in the area as part of the benefits of having a local councillors.
- She kept her nose to the grindstone, her feet on the ground and her hands to herself.
- ‘It's about time you took a holiday,’ she smiled as she poured tea, ‘You really have been keeping your nose to the grindstone lately.’
Words that rhyme with grindstonerhinestone
Definition of grindstone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.