- A mortar or paste for filling crevices, especially the gaps between wall or floor tiles.More example sentences
- Wall and floor tile grout must be sealed to prevent damage from moisture and graffiti.
- Tile grout is neither waterproof nor stainproof, so it usually must be sealed.
- Tiles, grout, thinset, cement board, tools and complete installation instructions are available at most home centers and other retailers of tile supplies.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Fill in with grout: soak off the facing paper with a damp sponge, then grout the tiles [no object]: is it best to grout with mortar between paving slabs?More example sentences
- He installed it all in one day and grouted it the next.
- They are incorrectly grouted, there are gaps and a lot of joints filled with tile adhesive.
- I'm hoping that by the time I get home, the office tile has been grouted, dried and the furniture put in place.
mid 17th century: perhaps from grouts, or related to French dialect grouter 'grout a wall'.
More definitions of groutDefinition of grout in:
- The US English dictionary