Definition of grubber in English:
1 [usually in combination] A person who is determined to acquire or amass something, especially in an unscrupulous manner: a money-grubber a vote-grubber
More example sentences
- All the while, a gang of greedy grubbers was taking 11 million dollars worth of that money.
- That achievement disgusts the its socio-ethnic engineers, its branch-stackers and multicultural grant grubbers, for whom his election victories were direct refutations of every toxic tenet of their divisive philosophy.
- This particular nest of welfare grubbers is not located in a slum tenement, though it's no less addicted to the public handouts and is absolutely brassy in its demand for more.
2 [usually in combination] An implement for digging up plants: a daisy-grubber
More example sentences
- Basic equipment for this was a tractor, plough, grubber, drill and a set of harrows and bought secondhand at clearing sales they were not too expensive.
- The grubber was used to break up the land to get it ready for sowing and planting.
3 Cricket A ball that is bowled along the ground.
- A bowler, bowling a grubber to prevent a winning run being scored, defies the conventions of cricket, but not its rules.
- In the end, it was horribly tight and it looked as if John Emburey would hold out for the Poms, but [leg spinner] Peter Sleep got him with a grubber, with eight balls to spare.
- Fearing the big hit over the boundary, Greg told Trevor to bowl the now infamous grubber.
3.1 (also grubber kick) Rugby A forward kick of the ball along the ground.
- Martyn then gave the home side clear breathing space as he raced through to meet Long's grubber kick and kicked forward and gathered to cross after lucky deflection off the posts.
- That new-found lead was extended to eight points as a ricochet from a grubber fell in York's favour and the ball was spun out to Alex Godfrey, who ignored spare men to cross.
- He tried a little grubber from seven yards out, the ball rebounded into his hands and he sprinted on an arc into the corner.
Words that rhyme with grubberblubber, clubber, lubber, rubber, scrubber, snubber
Definition of grubber in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.