noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- An oily yellow liquid with a penetrating odour, obtained by distilling wood tar or guaiac, used as a flavouring and an expectorant.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: o-methoxyphenol; chemical formula: HOC6H4OCH3
- The two main synthetic sources of synthetic vanillin are from guaiacol (chemical industry) and from lignin (paper industry).
- Glyceryl ether of guaiacol, commonly known as guaifenesin, is present in multiple cough and cold preparations.
- Its synthetic counterpart, made from guaiacol or eugenol, is used in artificial vanillas.
More definitions of guaiacolDefinition of guaiacol in:
- The US English dictionary