noun (plural gummas or gummata /-mətə/)Medicine
- A small soft swelling which is characteristic of the late stages of syphilis and occurs in the connective tissue of the liver, brain, testes, and heart.More example sentences
- Many patients advance to tertiary syphilis with cardiac, neurologic, and cutaneous gummas, which are painless nodules, asymmetrically distributed in groups on the face and trunk.
- If you have late syphilis, you may develop gummas (say: gum-mahs).
- More example sentences
- Tertiary or late syphilis is classified into gummatous syphilis, cardiovascular syphilis, and neurosyphilis.
- Even without a confirmatory rapid plasma reagin test or darkfield examination of the gummatous discharge, the diagnosis of secondary syphilis was obvious.
early 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin gummi (see gum1).
More definitions of gummaDefinition of gumma in:
- The US English dictionary