- 1An explosive consisting of a powdered mixture of saltpetre, sulphur, and charcoal, now chiefly used for quarry blasting and in fuses and fireworks.More example sentences
- Gunpowder is a mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur, and early gunpowder was just that: a powder.
- Prior to its first military uses, gunpowder was termed black powder.
- There was wax, matches, a long fuse, gunpowder and 20 bullets packed around a quarter stick of dynamite.
More definitions of gunpowderDefinition of gunpowder in:
- The US English dictionary