1The script used by Sikhs for writing Punjabi.
- The letter E in the Sikh script, Gurmukhi, is pronounced Ong and signifies the first intimations of the Divinity to the human mind.
- ‘In parts of East Punjab, the script used by traders, which later came to be known as Gurmukhi, held sway,’ Dr Bhutta explained.
- Curiously, Gurmukhi is the original script of the Punjabi language which is spoken by nearly 7 crore people of Western Punjab, the most dominant province of Pakistan.
1.1The Punjabi language as written in the Gurmukhi script.
- English is my main language of preference although I can speak Punjabi and read Gurmukhi.
- For the first time, Sikh community calligraphers joined Japanese calligraphers in writing messages of Peace and Friendship in Gurmukhi on beautiful Japanese lanterns.
- The languages on offer include Malyalam, Gujarati, Hindi, Gurmukhi, Tamil and Bengali.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Gur|mukhi
Definition of Gurmukhi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.