1A piece of material sewn into a garment to strengthen or enlarge a part of it.
- Features include underarm gussets, back sweat patch, and reinforced contrast color twill taping at split side vents.
- The zippered shirt incorporates underarm gussets, cuff stretch fabric, and a turtleneck collar.
- If you're a plus-size, become an expert at enlarging patterns, changing darts, or the myriad ways to add to garments such as gussets, pleats, etc.
2A bracket strengthening an angle of a structure.
- Note that this bike is plenty tough, too; the frame, with its beefy head-tube gussets, should shrug off impacts from between-class curb hops.
- Davesport manufactures custom plates and gussets for many applications.
- State transportation officials say damage seen on the bridge's gussets might have been caused by the collapse.
- Example sentences
- The integrated lacing system ensures a secure fit and the gusseted tongue keeps out debris and other unpleasantries from invading your shoes, which is always a good thing.
- Each of the three models has an all-new, fully gusseted ZR9000 aluminum frame with a two-inch lower stand-over height and new windowed dropouts with integrated disc mounts.
- They look as new as the day I got them in the mail, and they performed like a champ, what with gusseted crotch and reinforced knees.
Late Middle English: from Old French gousset, diminutive of gousse 'pod, shell', of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with gussetrusset
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gus¦set
Definition of gusset in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.