noun[also treated as singular]
- 1Exercises developing or displaying physical agility and coordination. The modern sport of gymnastics typically involves exercises on bars, beam, floor, and vaulting horse.More example sentences
- Does that mean, I was tempted to ask, your main interest in gymnastics is floor exercises?
- Two sports halls would be built to host badminton, gymnastics and table tennis.
- In the modern Olympics, diving and gymnastics are the two sports in which Chinese athletes are very successful.
- 1.1 [with adjective] Other physical or mental agility of a specified kind: these vocal gymnastics make the music unforgettableMore example sentences
- I need to find a way of breaking myself into this mental gymnastics.
- They often come up with incredibly ingenious ideas and are always happy to engage in mental gymnastics.
- It's not supposed to make sense without some personal mental gymnastics.
More definitions of gymnasticsDefinition of gymnastics in:
- The US English dictionary