noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An iron-containing compound of the porphyrin class which forms the non-protein part of haemoglobin and some other biological molecules.More example sentences
- This turnover releases significant amounts of the iron-free portion of heme, porphyrin, which is subsequently degraded.
- The majority of photosensitizers are derivatives of hematoporphyrin, a synthetic porphyrin synthesized from heme.
- The active site or prosthetic group of all the cytochromes is an iron containing porphyrin, or heme.
1920s: back-formation from haemoglobin.
More definitions of haemDefinition of haem in:
- The US English dictionary