noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A red protein responsible for transporting oxygen in the blood of vertebrates. Its molecule comprises four subunits, each containing an iron atom bound to a haem group.More example sentences
- The key, she believes, may be the iron content of the blood and muscle proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin.
- The main task of red blood cells is to transport oxygen bound to haemoglobin from the lungs to the tissues.
- The red blood cells carry red blood protein called haemoglobin.
mid 19th century: a contracted form of haematoglobulin, in the same sense.
More definitions of haemoglobinDefinition of haemoglobin in:
- The US English dictionary