The production of blood cells and platelets, which occurs in the bone marrow.
More example sentences
- Under normal conditions of hemopoiesis, the bone marrow acts as a site for the turnover and traffic of mature leukocytes to the peripheral circulation.
- One may speculate that these immature B cells may play a critical role in the regenerative regulation of hemopoiesis, as well as in immune functions in the context of chronic cytopenias.
- In the massively enlarged spleen, extramedullary hemopoiesis was prominent, with clusters of atypical megakaryocytes with vacuoles and erythrophagocytosis.
- More example sentences
- These sites all contain a primitive, self-renewing population of blood-cell precursors, the haemopoietic stem cells, which are capable of producing all the different cells of the blood.
- If a malignant haemopoietic condition relapses after an allogeneic transplant, lymphocyte infusions from the original donor can return the patient to remission by exploiting the graft versus tumour effect.
- The patients in our study demonstrated a PCP-associated decrease in total blood lymphocyte counts, suggesting that long-term exposure to PCP inhibits compensatory hemopoietic activity.
Definition of haemopoiesis in:
- The US English dictionary