Definition of hair shirt in English:
A shirt of haircloth, formerly worn by penitents and ascetics.
- She fasted savagely, stood barefoot on winter mornings while she recited all 150 psalms, and wore iron chains and a hair shirt till the day she died.
- It was not, he told me, a matter of wearing a one-size-fits-all hair shirt.
- For example, after the murder of Thomas Becket, Henry II went on a walkabout in a hair shirt to expiate his sin of accidentally-on-purpose suggesting that the cleric's removal would suit him right down to the ground.
adjectiveBack to top
(hair-shirt or hair-shirted) Austere and self-sacrificing: a hair-shirted existence advocated by eco-fundamentalists
More example sentences
- The austerity is admirable but the effect of this hair-shirted self-punishment is too often not the revelation of a new affective range, but a dutiful boredom.
- Historically the product of a theocracy, Scots are imbued with the most hair-shirted of Protestant work ethics of hard work and reliability, with guilt, until recently a key driving force.
- ‘Ethical living’ was once the domain of hair-shirted hippies living in north Wales; now it has been adopted by the urban glitterati.
Definition of hair shirt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan