Definition of half-island in English:
1A piece of land almost surrounded by water; a peninsula.
- He was not concerned that the peninsula was a half-island.
- The peninsula, in effect a half-island appended to Eurasia, is burdened with geographic features that tend to encourage predatory behavior on the part of the great powers.
- The country consists of a large, mountainous island (half-island, actually), much longer than it is wide.
1.1A piece of land made up of half or part of an island.
- In effect, the half-island's currency will now be controlled by the United States Treasury.
- Experts reckoned the half-island would need up to $200 million a year in foreign aid for five years.
- As a small half-island economy, East Timor is characterised by a large traditional sector, producing primarily for subsistence.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.