Definition of halibut in English:
noun (plural same)
1A northern marine fish which is the largest of the flatfishes and important as a food fish.
- Genus Hippoglossus, family Pleuronectidae: H. hippoglossus of the Atlantic and H. stenolepis of the Pacific
- Two types of Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) are found in fatty fish such as salmon, white tuna, mackerel, rainbow trout, herring, halibut and sardines.
- Fatty cold-water fish such as halibut, mackerel, herring, and salmon are good sources of EPA and DHA.
- The Cowries also run a fish filleting factory, and family contacts in Scrabster mean they sell a large range of fresh, unsmoked fish - from haddock and halibut to monkfish, mackerel and plaice.
1.1Used in names of large edible flatfishes of families other than the true halibut, e.g. Greenland halibut.
- In the N. and NE Atlantic region, especially Norway and Greenland, halibut (including dried strips of the flesh) has consistently been an important element in the diet.
- The California halibut is a flatfish with an oblong, compressed body and a large, powerful, broad tail.
- I ate smoked scallops with cauliflower purée and lobster vinaigrette; halibut with fricassee of oysters and artichoke dumpling; and creme brûlée and strawberry tartare with basil sorbet.
Late Middle English: from haly 'holy' + obsolete butt 'flatfish' (because it was often eaten on holy days).
Words that rhyme with halibutcelibate • Robert • Osbert
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan