- A compound derived from methane by substituting three hydrogen atoms by halogen atoms, e.g. chloroform: [as modifier]: haloform reactionMore example sentences
- Removal of dissolved haloforms generally requires aeration, which also removes substantial quantities of the chlorine.
- Primarily the volatile haloforms such as chloroform, but also dichlorobromomethane, chlorodibromomethane and bromoforme, are suspected of being harmful to health, some even carcinogenic.
- Next to chloroform mixed haloforms will be produced if bromide or iodide is present in the water.
1930s: from halogen, on the pattern of chloroform.
More definitions of haloformDefinition of haloform in:
- The US English dictionary