Definition of halogenate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective halogenated) Chemistry
Introduce one or more halogen atoms into (a compound or molecule), usually in place of hydrogen: halogenated hydrocarbons
More example sentences
- Five classes of pesticides were examined in the new study: phosphates, pyrethroids, halogenated hydrocarbons, carbamates, and endocrine disruptors.
- Methane can also be halogenated by free radical substitution.
- Nitromethane, a stabilizer added to many halogenated solvents and aerosol propellants.
- Example sentences
- For example, halogenation of ethylene provides dichloroethane which can lose an HCl to give a chlorinated ethylene used in the production of poly(vinyl choride) or PVC.
- For example, the halogenation of acetone proceeds via the enol: the keto form does not react directly.
- To check for artifactual halogenation of proteins, each batch of samples subjected to hydrolysis contained an additional sample of albumin.
Definition of halogenate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.