Definition of halogenate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective halogenated) Chemistry
Introduce one or more halogen atoms into (a compound or molecule), usually in place of hydrogen: halogenated hydrocarbons
More example sentences
- Five classes of pesticides were examined in the new study: phosphates, pyrethroids, halogenated hydrocarbons, carbamates, and endocrine disruptors.
- Methane can also be halogenated by free radical substitution.
- Nitromethane, a stabilizer added to many halogenated solvents and aerosol propellants.
- Example sentences
- For example, halogenation of ethylene provides dichloroethane which can lose an HCl to give a chlorinated ethylene used in the production of poly(vinyl choride) or PVC.
- For example, the halogenation of acetone proceeds via the enol: the keto form does not react directly.
- To check for artifactual halogenation of proteins, each batch of samples subjected to hydrolysis contained an additional sample of albumin.
Definition of halogenate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan